Friday, November 2, 2012

DIY Maxi Skirt Madness

Am I a maxi-skirt-making fiend?




Yes. Yes I am. This is the THIRD maxi skirt I've made, and I love them all!

And per usual, I got so impatient excited that I didn't think to take any pictures of how I made it. But I'll describe it as best I can.

Supplies: 

2 1/3 yards knit fabric
matching thread

First, measure where you want the skirt to sit on your waist. I like mine to sit higher, so I measured my natural waist {just above my belly button}. Then, trace out two giant triangles on your fabric. They should look kinda like this {but nicer} {and straighter}.



The shorter line on top is the length of your waist measurement PLUS seam allowance. Widening the skirt at the bottom will create some nice draping once its all sewn together. I think I even made mine flare out more than the picture. Make sure the skirt is long enough for the shoes you want to wear with it {i always wear mine with heels, so my skirt length is pretty long}.

Next, sew your two pieces together. 

This is intense, I know. 

Now onto the waistband of your maxi skirt. I wanted to ruche mine, so I cut out two rectangles that were the length of the top of my skirt {my waist measurement plus seam allowance}, and about 7 inches wide. If you don't want to ruche yours, make them 3 or 4 inches wide, whatever your preference is.


Then, sew the two rectangles together to form a loop. Hem the top using a stretch stitch or elastic thread. 




Iron in the bottom hem and pin to your skirt. Sew using a stretch stitch or elastic thread, hemming and attaching the waistband simultaneously. 


Lastly, if you wanted a ruched waistband, sew down the side seams of the waistband using elastic thread in your bobbin. This should give you a nice gathered look.

Woo-hoo! You're done! 

DIY maxis are my favorite. They're comfortable, easy, and comfortable. 
{it counts twice.}







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...